Friday, August 11, 2017 2:22:00 PM
Please note: The summary below was prepared by staff and is not approved by the OWASA Board. OWASA’s webpage with Board meeting information includes the Board's adopted minutes, agenda materials, staff’s meeting summaries, audio recordings of Board meetings on second Thursdays of the month, and videos of Board meetings on fourth Thursdays. The agenda and related information for the August 10th meeting are available here.
The Board of Directors:
- Received and discussed a status report on plans for risk assessment of the Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant and Mason Farm Wastewater Treatment Plant. The next step will be selecting a consultant from three firms which submitted their qualifications for the project.
- Received a preliminary report on revenues and costs from July 2016 through June 2017. OWASA continues to meet financial performance objectives. Net income was $1.1 million or 13% more than projected. OWASA uses net income to help pay for future capital investments and maintain financial reserves.
- Received a status report on OWASA’s capital investment program from July 2016 through June 2017. Capital costs totaled $9.7 million or 71% of budget. Major projects completed in the last year included replacing water pipes in part of East Rosemary, Henderson and Hillsborough Streets to maintain reliable service; and renewing two solids treatment tanks at the Mason Farm Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Recognized the service and contributions to the community by the late Edward N. Mann Jr., a former Chair of the OWASA Board.
- Agreed that the process for selecting a financial auditor will include recommendations to the Board by an evaluation panel including Board members and staff.
- Agreed to cancel the August 24th Board meeting.
The Board will hold a work session on Thursday, September 14th at 6 PM in the Community Room at the OWASA Administration Building, 400 Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro.