Please note: The summary below was prepared by OWASA staff and is not approved by the OWASA Board of Directors. OWASA’s webpage with Board meeting information includes the Board's adopted minutes, agenda materials, staff’s meeting summaries, audio recordings of Board meetings on second Thursdays of the month, and videos of Board meetings on fourth Thursdays.
The Board of Directors:
- Approved the contract for installing the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) system, which will make it easier for OWASA to detect apparent leaks in customers’ plumbing and enable customers to frequently monitor their water use via the internet. The installation is expected to take about two years.
- Approved a budget allocation for employee merit pay in fiscal year 2018 at 3.5% of payroll. The Board expects to make more specific decisions on employee merit pay this fall after receiving recommendations from the Board’s Human Resources (HR) Committee.
- Asked the HR Committee to evaluate options for allowing employees to advance more quickly through their pay ranges based on performance.
- Approved renewing employee health and dental insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina in the year starting on July 1. The cost of health insurance will increase 6.8% and dental insurance 1.4%.
- Awarded a contract for rehabilitating the Rogerson Drive wastewater pump station on the east side of Chapel Hill.
The Board will meet on Thursday, May 25th at 7 PM in the Council Chamber at the Chapel Hill Town Hall, 405 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (will include public hearings on the proposed budget for July 2017 through June 2018 and rates proposed to be effective in October 2017) and on Thursday, June 8th at 6 PM in the Community Room at the OWASA Administration Building, 400 Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro.